Connect with us
Call us: 023 92380801

A Landlord’s Obligations

When letting out a property there are some legal and essential requirements that you as a landlord will need to adhere to, prior to starting and during any tenancy agreement.

You are responsible for:

  • Repairs to the structure and exterior of the property.
  • Repairs to heating and hot water installations.
  • Repairs to sinks, baths and other sanitary installations.
  • Safety of gas and electrical appliances that you supply.
  • Fire safety of furniture and furnishings that you supply.
  • Providing an Energy Performance Certificate for the property.
  • Protecting your tenants deposit in a government-approved scheme.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

It is a legal requirement to order an EPC before marketing your property to rent. An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. An EPC rates energy efficiency and is valid for 10 years.

Gas Safety Testing

In 1996 the government made law it that all landlords who rent part, or all of a property, must have all gas appliances and pipe work checked and a certificate to prove it every 12 months.


It’s highly recommended that you draw up an inventory that is checked, agreed and signed by tenants prior to them moving in. In 2007, the tenancy deposit scheme was introduced, and a landlord now has to prove any damage if he/she wants to make deductions from a deposit. It’s recommended that this proof is documented and verifiable in the form of an Inventory.

Right to Rent

From February 1st 2016, under the Immigration Act 2014, all landlords must check that a tenant or lodger can legally rent a residential property. If their tenancy started on or after this date, this must be done prior to a tenant signing the tenancy. As part of our service, we use a third party referencing company who undertake all our tenant referencing and we include the right to rent check as standard.


The landlord has an obligation to insure the rented property and the landlord’s contents. We recommend that specific landlords insurance is taken out, as most general household insurance will not cover all that is required. We also recommend that our tenants to take out ‘tenants liability insurance’ to make sure they are fully protected.